Celebrating 142 Years of Ministry
Macedonia Baptist Church was founded in 1876, in Marshall Hall, Maryland, by James Hungerford, a slave who donated the land from his inheritance from his master. The first structure was a log cabin with a long bench for the pulpit; however, the surrounding marshland overtook the church. The members were not to be defeated in their endeavors to have a worship house to serve the Lord, so they selected a new site on top of a hill, which is the present location.
In 1913, the church was renamed Pure Gold Baptist Church; however, in 1920, Reverend John Robinson rekindled the interest of the members, and the congregation elected to rename the church back to Macedonia Baptist Church.
In 1959, Macedonia Baptist Church experienced a disastrous fire, and much of the church records were destroyed. During the period of 1920 to 1940, the following pastors served, but their records were destroyed in the fire:
• Reverend Garfield Hunter
• Reverend John Robinson
• Reverend Frank Henderson
• Reverend Guttrick
• Reverend Thornton
Reverend John R. Morton (1940-1962)
Ordained at Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Marbury, Maryland, Reverend Morton was the driving force behind the reconstruction of Macedonia after the fire, and in 1960, during his pastorate, Macedonia Baptist Church was rebuilt. A former patron of Truth Chapter #19, Order of the Eastern Star, Pomonkey, Maryland, Reverend Morton was a former Past Master and active member of Beehive Lodge #66, F&AM PHA, Corinthian Chapter #20 Royal Arch Masons. During the reconstruction of Macedonia, Reverend Morton’s Masonic Lodge permitted Macedonia members to hold their worship services there. The physical structure of Macedonia Baptist Church continued to be renovated and enhanced with new additions. Under Reverend Morton’s pastorate, Reverend Foster Graham served as Associate Minister until he was called to pastor at Mount Paran Baptist Church, Washington, DC.
Reverend Ernest Dotson (1962-1967)
During Reverend Dotson’s pastorate, plans for the building of the Fellowship Hall were developed in 1962. In 1963, Macedonia members voted to use wafers in lieu of bread for Holy Communion; Deacon Alonzo Johnson was voted Chairman of the Deacon Board and was the first Chairman to retire Emeritus. In 1965, choir chairs were purchased.
Reverend R. Vincent Palmer (1967-1969)
Reverend Palmer was ordained on November 14, 1964 by Reverend Rodney Young, who was the Pastor of Mount Hope Baptist Church, Nanjemoy, Maryland. In 1969, during Reverend Palmer’s pastorate, Sister Mary Alice Bland was voted Mother of the Church, and the Youth Choir flourished.
Reverend William H.Scott (1970-1979)
Reverend Scott was installed as Pastor on June 7, 1970. During his pastorate, major structural changes were completed: a raised pulpit with new furniture, a Communion table, pews, a new heating system, and carpet and air conditioning window units were installed. Deacons Nathan Briscoe and Robert Bowman were ordained. Deacons Robert A. Fletcher and William W. Banks were also called to the ministry and ordained in 1975. Reverends Delores Blakemore and James Brooks served as Associate Ministers, and Reverend William W. Banks was voted Assistant Pastor. Additionally, 66 baptisms were recorded during Pastor Scott’s pastorate.
Reverend George A. Hayes (1979-1988)
During Reverend Hayes’ pastorate, the church bus was purchased, additions were made to the sanctuary, and a major renovation, “Project Brick”, provided brick to the entire outside structure. This was a labor of love, as the sisters of the church supplied meals, and the brothers, along with friends and relatives, devoted their time and talent to beautify the exterior of the church. On November 22, 1986, Deacons Winfred W. Pearson and George Frye were ordained. Macedonia’s first newsletter was created and edited by Deacon George and Sister Korla Frye. Deaconess Mary Morton was voted Mother of the Church. In celebration of Macedonia’s 110th Church Anniversary and Reverend Hayes’ 7th Pastoral Anniversary, Macedonia received letters of commendation from Maryland’s Governor, Congressional Representatives, Senators, and the President of the United States, Ronald Reagan.
Reverend C. H. Johnson (1989-1999)
During Reverend Johnson’s pastorate, Macedonia adopted the theme, “The Best is Yet to Come” (1 John 3:2). Reverend Johnson initiated a mid-day/mid-week Prayer/Praise and Bible Discussion and was a major impetus in growing the Sunday Church School, developing a Transportation Ministry and a Children’s Ministry program for ages 2 through 8. Additionally, a major interior renovation was completed: new carpeting, re-upholstered pews, new chairs for the pulpit and choir loft, a baptismal pool, central air conditioning, and overflow chairs. Reverend Johnson was the first pastor on record to marry during his pastorate. Chairman, Deacon Nathan Briscoe retired as Emeritus, and Deacons Elmer Jackson, Earl Nelson, and Richard Pearson, Jr. were ordained.
Reverend Franklin C. Merritt (2001-2004)
Reverend Merritt accepted the call as Pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church on April 20, 2001. Prior to joining Macedonia, Reverend Merritt was an Associate Minister at Mount Ennon Baptist Church, Clinton, Maryland, under the pastorate of Reverend James H. Neal. During Reverend Merritt’s pastorate, the church membership thrived, the Youth Ministry grew, and the Dance Ministry was formed. The renovation debt was paid off and two church vans were purchased. Deacons Abraham Brown and Charles Whittington were added to the Deacon Ministry, and Reverends Geoffrey Thomas and Jason Reynolds joined the Ministerial Staff. On September 1, 2004, Reverend Merritt was suddenly called home to be with the Lord.
Reverend Joseph C. T. Flippin, M. Div. (2006-2011)
Reverend Flippin accepted the call as Pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church on February 23, 2006, and was installed on June 18, 2006, by his father, Reverend William Edward Flippin, Sr., Senior Pastor of The Greater Piney Grove Baptist Church, Atlanta, Georgia. As a third generation of preachers in his family, Rev. Flippin continued the legacy of his late grandfather, Reverend Moses Taylor, Sr., and the vision of his father, to be a beacon of faith and hope for people seeking to build God’s Kingdom. During Reverend Flippin’s pastorate, the noon day Bible Study on Tuesdays was reinstated; five ministers were licensed into the Ministry: Aurellia Dyson, Gwendolyn Warren, Yolanda Norton, Collette Morton and Aretha Bowman; two Deacons were ordained: James Crudup and Anthony Mack; and the first Deaconess Consecration was held for Tracy Crudup. Also, both parking lots were paved, and the church mini-bus was purchased. On November 18, 2011, Reverend Flippin resigned as pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church.
Reverend Samuel A. King, Jr. (2012-Present)
Reverend King accepted the call as Pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church on April 11, 2012. Prior to joining Macedonia, Reverend King served as Assistant to the Pastor to Reverend Carl V. Messiah, Pastor of Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Marbury, MD and served as the Interim Pastor to Macedonia for approximately 90 days. Pastor King was installed as Pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church on July 22, 2012 by Reverend Messiah. Pastor King has strived to provide biblical teaching and preaching that transforms lives and foster accountability in the ministry. Under his pastorate, Reverend Ernest Pitts and Minister Leonard Chappell joined the Ministerial Staff; three ministers were licensed into the Ministry: Rick Spruill, D.M., Tracy Brown, and Ann Pookrum; Deacons Stanley Kelly, Kenneth Stanley, Charles O. Bland, Paul A. Dunnington, Jr., Ronnie L. Williams, and Luke H. Woods were ordained; and Deaconesses Dorothy M. Merritt, Bonnie Roper, DeGrasia Stanley and Constance Jefferson-Woods were consecrated. In 2015, Macedonia underwent a Church and Sanctuary Renovation project. Additionally, ministries and programs have been created to address the needs of the congregation and the community.